Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

News Release

​Moscow

Majority of Companies in Moscow Utilize Open-Space Lay-Out

Jones Lang LaSalle Announces the Results of the Moscow Workplace Strategies and Office Space Standards Survey


​Moscow, 26 June 2013 – As part of our commitment to stay on top of the latest best practice in corporate real estate, Jones Lang LaSalle has carried out a study on practices, and attitudes towards workplace strategy and office space standards across the principal business sectors in Moscow. Main findings are:

• 90% of all respondents utilize a majority of workstations in open space lay-out

• Desk-sharing is only implemented by 6 out of 20 respondents 

• Flexible hours are allowed by 45% of respondents

• 35% of corporates are sometimes allowing working from home.

The survey was based on face-to-face meetings and a questionnaire which was focused on development and application of the workplace strategy, workplace settings (office lay-out, interior design), technology and work style of employees. More than 20 international and domestic companies participated that occupy over 11% of total Class A space in Moscow (approximately 300,000 sq m) and represent 7 business sectors.

A modern workplace strategy aims at developing and delivering tailored and innovative strategies that not only optimize real estate assets and reduce operating costs, but also attract and engage company’s workforce. Tim Millard, Head of Advisory, Jones Lang LaSalle, Russia & CIS: “Executed correctly workplace strategy can be an effective leader of change and can drive employee motivation and productivity. The majority of respondents view workplace strategy as an important and powerful tool that drives employees productivity.”

One of the key findings of the survey was that all of the respondents indicated that their real estate strategy includes a workplace strategy; 70% percent mentioned that a formal strategy is already in place and the remaining 30% percent are in the process of implementing one in the next 12 months. Moreover, 85% of the foreign companies confirmed that their current workplace program in Moscow is in line with company’s global workplace strategy guidelines.

“90% of all respondents indicated that one of the key pillars of their workplace strategy is to utilize a majority of workstations in open space with some individual/shared closed offices. Desk-sharing on the other hand, is only implemented by 12% of respondents. Depending on the business unit the desk-sharing ratio will vary from 1.2 to 1.5 employees per desk”, added Liliana Stoianova, Head of Office and Occupier Research, Jones Lang LaSalle, Russia & CIS.

Interestingly, more than half cited that when planning the lay-out of their new office, the number of meeting rooms increased significantly. In terms of working style of employees, flexible hours are allowed by 45% of respondents, while 35% of corporates are sometimes allowing working from home.

Change management is a key element in any workplace transformation, and organizations that proactively manage workplace change are better positioned to support rapid change often required from the business. Our survey indicated that change management programs were conducted by 65% of all respondents in implementing their current workplace strategy.

Today’s workplace can no longer be defined by a ‘one size fits all’ solution. What works for one company, will not work for another one. Each strategy is and should be different and would be very much influenced by each organization core values.  Workplace is not only about space, but about people as well – it is the physical expression of corporate culture. Like all good business strategies, workplace strategies evolve constantly and require monitoring and ongoing refinement. As the business changes, so should the workplace.


About Jones Lang LaSalle
Jones Lang LaSalle (NYSE:JLL) is a professional services and investment management firm offering specialized real estate services to clients seeking increased value by owning, occupying and investing in real estate. With annual revenue of $3.9 billion, Jones Lang LaSalle operates in 70 countries from more than 1,000 locations worldwide. On behalf of its clients, the firm provides management and real estate outsourcing services to a property portfolio of 242 million square meters and completed $63 billion in sales, acquisitions and finance transactions in 2012. Its investment management business, LaSalle Investment Management, has $47.7 billion of real estate assets under management.
In Russia and CIS Jones Lang LaSalle have offices in Moscow, St. Petersburg, Kiev and Aktau. Jones Lang LaSalle, Russia was voted Consultant of the Year in 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 at the Commercial Real Estate Awards, Moscow and Consultant of the Year at the Commercial Real Estate Awards 2009, St. Petersburg.
For further information, please visit www.jll.ru​